Monday 21 November 2011

Why can't our school be on the Curragh?

OHMYGOD.
Work experience was, as my friend Émer would say, "AMAZEBALLS"  ^_^
I went to Anglesey Lodge Equine Hospital, which is on the Curragh. Actually while we're on the topic of the Curragh let me tell you all about it :P It's the most amazing place in the world and I NEED to live there when I'm older!!
 *Goes to wikipedia* 
The Curragh (IrishAn Currach) is a flat open plain of almost 5,000 acres (20 km²) of common land in County Kildare, Ireland.  This area is well-known for Irish horse breeding and training.  ~it's now me talking, not wikipedia~ 


There are around 20 racehorse trainers who train on the Curragh and by paying €1200 per year, per horse (I know :O) they have complete access to the grass gallops, peat gallops, eight (EIGHT) all weather tracks, and loads of fences and hurdles for schooling horses. Most of you probably don't care about this and are thinking "omg Niamh shut up" but I love it so much! 


And anyone can use the training facilities, not just the 20 trainers, but it costs way more, it's like €60 a horse to gallop up the Old Vic (9 furlong woodchip gallop) ONCE. 


The Curragh is also the "headquarters" of Irish Flat racing, because it holds the five most valuable flat races in the country: The 1000 guineas, The 2000 guineas, The Derby, The Oaks, and The St. Ledger. Together they are called the Classics :) 


The Curragh also has like five equine hospitals and this big huge shop called TRI equestrian which sells everything you could possibly need in the world of horse racing. Me and Fiona (in class Fódla) plan to have a huge sleepover there, then win the lotto and buy the entire place, and it WILL happen.


Okay so now that you know about my paradise, back to the point of this post ^_^


Anglesey Lodge Equine Hospital is right on the Curragh between the 4 and 5 furlong poles :P It's a hospital for horses where they come when they're sick or injured :( I know, that's fairly obvious haha. There is a scanning room, an x-ray room, a surgery, and lots of stables and other rooms that are less important. 


My favourite thing by far was getting to watch horses in surgery. I got to watch four all together. The first was a castration; the second was a lump (that could have contained cancer) being removed from a pony's leg; the third was key hole surgery on a foal's fetlock (THAT WAS MY FAVOURITE) and the last was the removal of some nerve in a horse's hind leg to prevent lameness.
The vets and nurses were very welcoming and encouraging, they let me get really involved and explained to me what was going on the whole time. I got to help put the horses up on the hoist to bring them out to the surgery table, and pick out their feet (because everything has to be SO clean) and then literally hoover the horse haha, that was fun :) and on the nerve removal surgery, I used cotton swabs and this pink liquid to prep the leg for surgery, so yeah I#m probably boring you now, but it was SO AMAZING! :D 


I'm so glad I'm in TY, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten this fantastic opportunity :) I've always wanted to be an equine vet, but now I'm 1000000000% sure that this will be my career!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment